Ramblings and thoughts by a Mensch or two.

Saturday, May 15, 2004

"Are you ready for the baby?"

People keep asking me this question. In some ways, the answer is yes--we've bought everything that they tell you to buy, we have space set up for changing the baby, we've looked at names. But can one ever be "ready"? I've heard over and over that everything will change, sometimes in subtle ways, sometimes in ways not so subtle, and that it's really impossible to understand what it's like to have a child until you have one.

So my question is this: How can I possibly be ready for something that's allegedly impossible to understand in advance? I've tried to prepare myself for a major change, for something that is a major life-changing event, a rite-of-passage of sorts. But beyond that, I'll just handle things as they come along; I've had good luck dealing with kids in the past, and I've decided to try to trust myself to be a good father rather than to try to worry the situation to death.

As far as being ready--regardless of whether I'm ready, the baby is going to be along any day now. The due date is May 29th; wish us luck!

1 comment:

Jodie said...

I think people often ask "are you ready" because they don't know what else to say; it's one of those things to say like "how are you". The important thing is to be flexible...it's both easier and harder than you think it will be.

One of the nice things I learned, that helped me through the parenting process (mine are 19 and 15 now), is the concept of "good enough". No one has to be the best mom or dad all the time or some of the time or even any of the time -- it's important to be the good enough mom or dad. Being the best is a lot of pressure...and your children will believe you are the best whatever you think, anyway.